Boomers: How Is Your Ship Surviving Our Current Sea of Economic Stress? Are You Looking for a New Job, Moving In With Family, Planning an Expat Lifestyle? Or Sailing Ahead?
“Ahoy There,” “Hola,” “Aloha” and “Permission to Come Aboard,” Fellow Baby Boomers!
All apologies for the fact that this blog has been “beached” for a couple of months now. The good news is, we’re about to set sail again!
Hopefully You Didn’t Think We’d Gone “Off the Radar.” Or Fallen Off the Face of the Earth…
Actually, the state of the “Boomer Lifestyle” blog ship is sound and all aboard are well! Fact is, we have been off exploring, seeking ways to better serve you.
The good news is that despite months of news stories telling you of the world’s challenges related to huge global economic stress, there’s been lots of great stuff floating through the blogosphere, as well as the world at large, and we’ve been busy checking it out on your behalf…
Here’s how you can help assure that we’re providing you with EXACTLY what you need to continue to succeed in these turbulent economic times:
Take the Boomer Lifestyle Poll: It’s Both Quick and Painless
Historically, Boomers have had it good financially for quite awhile now. So we’d love to know how you feel you’ve been handling our country’s current levels of economic stress. We thought we’d ask you — which is why we’ve developed our poll.
It’s just one quick question with multiple choice answers, so it will take you mere seconds to answer. The simple question is:
“As a Baby Boomer nearing retirement age, how has our recent global economic downturn affected your future life and plans?”
The potential responses ranging from the most positive to the most stressed.
Specifically, you can vote for any one of the options noted below.
(NOTE: The parenthetical comments aren’t part of the official poll responses, they’re just here to focus and augment your thinking as to whether that point is your preferred response) :
- No change, life is great, thank you very much. (Everything is on target for retirement as planned, and we’re looking forward to years of smooth sailing and great adventures.)
- I can’t afford to retire, will have to keep working for the foreseeable future. (And you’re saying, “Damn, working until I die sure wasn’t what I had planned as the capstone of my career.”)
- I’m currently looking for a second job. (If you’re selecting this answer perhaps you’ve heard that there’s a growing market for Baby Boomers as temporary hires, due to the experience Boomers can bring to the table…)
- I am giving serious thought to retiring abroad. (If you’re thinking of living the expat lifestyle, you’re probably aware that the cost of living is often less, and those who’re doing it tell you that in certain countries it’s possible for you to live well on just your social security check. But you need to know WHERE those places are…)
- I’m starting a new online business, to recoup our lost funds. (Perhaps your plan is develop your own economic stimulus package by writing a book based on your life knowledge, and market it online. If so, you’ll want to read the great post we have coming up on that topic!)
- I’m starting a new offline business to recoup our lost funds. (Self-employment is a solid option, but you’ll want to invest in a business coach or other support system. After all, there’s no time left for mistakes…)
- I’m moving in with my kids to help save money all around. (You’re thinking that this is what your parents and grandparents did during the Great Depression, and it worked for them.)
- I’m paralyzed with fear, don’t know where to turn. (You may not realize that you’re having trouble handling the stress. But if you’re eating poorly, napping excessively, drinking or smoking more than usual, or having trouble sleeping, these are warning signs you need to address. In order to get your ship afloat again, you might want to get some help with learning relaxation techniques, adopting a healthy mindset and developing stress management skills.)
Don’t Wait! You Only Have Until June 12th 2009 to Cast Your Vote.
All you need to do is click on the link below, to quickly send your answer to this single question survey.
This is not a test, it’s a survey. Which means there is no one right answer. It’s simply an attempt to (albeit unscientifically) take the pulse of Boomer Lifestyle readers, to find out how you’re handling the financial challenges the current economy brings us.
The options you’ll find for your response are based on solutions we’re hearing about by watching the media, and reading your stories online. We know that each of the responses represents a percentage of you – we just don’t know — YET — how many of you have opted for each of these solutions. But after June 12th, we’ll tally up the responses and write a blog post analyzing your responses.
Should be quite interesting…
Of Course, We’d Love to Hear From You, Personally.
It’d Be Fantastic If You’d Share Your Story With Our Readers
If you’re game, feel free to post a comment here on the blog, telling your story… We’d especially love to hear any personal stories you’d like to share.
But Don’t Forget to Vote! Now!!
Here’s where to click to participate in the poll’s single question:
Once your vote and the others we receive are tallied, we’ll post our findings.
Early poll returns show 60% of you selecting the “paralyzed with fear” option, which is distressing. But perhaps not surprising. It’s early yet in this recession, and people are still finding their way out of it…
We Have Posts in the Works on Solutions to Assure You Continue to Enjoy a Vibrant Boomer Lifestyle.
They include topics like:
- How to write a book based on your life experience and knowledge – and better yet – how to market it successfully
- What to look for in selecting a foreign country as your future residence – full or part time
- How to market yourself so that you can find a job without being penalized for your age
- How why and when to start and operate a (profitable) online business
- How to make money from a hobby business
- And loads more of the lifestyle posts you love, on topics like healthy living despite health challenges, vacationing with your grandchildren, helping a parent coping with Alzheimers, dating, recipes and Boomer fun. Even a fun and entertaining post on creative trends in Boomer funeral planning. (Really!)
You know, this is all great stuff you’ll want to read as soon as it’s posted. Why not subscribe to our RSS feed, or go to the top of this page to sign up for our email list, to assure that you don’t miss a single post!
Stay cool! The tide’s rising to meet you!